Half Moon Bay, California November 2012

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day out with Uncle Kelly and Uncle Robert

Saturday, Septemeber 22, 2012:

San Francisco scares me.  Why?  Because the roads are narrow.  The roads are very steep - both ways!  Roads randomly (to me!) goes from 2 ways to one way! Parking is limited.  It is very crowded!  BUT... we have some amazing friends who live there (our dear high school friend moved there with his family too).  So every now and then I suck it up.  Vince helps me by driving because I wouldn't go any where near there if I had to drive.  Then we get the family out for the day.  Frankly, if it's that big an ordeal for me -- we are going all out and making it an entire days event!

This Saturday we left the house early.  We set the directions on our trusty GPS and visited our dear friend, Kelly and his partner, Robert.  They just moved into their new home in Glen Park and were very excited to show off their place.  Selfishly, I just wanted to see Kelly again.  We have known each other since 1996 when I started my teaching career.  We don't see each other as often as we should (or would like).  He has been an important person in my life (he graciously offered to sing at our wedding!) and I really miss him!  So, for months we have been saying, "yes, let's get together."  But then something came up and something came up... then the children started school.  And he started school.  He is a school administrator- an amazing one at it.  If I go back to teaching, I would totally work for him!

So the day finally came and I was very excited!!!
After showing us around their home (beautiful by the way and i should have taken pictures!) we talked about what we wanted to do.  So we decided to walk to the BART station (a mere few blocks from their home) to ride the cable car.  Here they are waiting:
 And the ride was an experience all together -- not sure the children will want to go back on it again!  It was VERY crowded.  I liked the entertainment provided by the passengers and the conductor.  But the children were hanging on for dear life.  MG was leaning on me.  I had to hang on to E the entire time.  My back was hurting.  MG said she felt nauseous.  My legs were feeling wobbly by the end of the ride.  Poor Kelly had to hang from the car on the OUTSIDE!  Then MD kept complaining his legs were hurting.  People were bumping from every direction.  And even though I felt we were packed like sardines... the ticket guy kept saying, "sure, I can take a few more."  And he would direct the group further into the car!  Seriously, it was PACKED!  All I have to say is, good thing I showered... wish I could say the same about others around me.  HAHAHA!  (just kidding!)
This is one relieved girl...
 When we exited at Pier 39, everyone was so happy!  The cable car stayed a few minutes so we grabbed some photos.  The noise makers!
 Our wonderful group:
 While walking around the pier the children ran toward this bubble maker -- I think I may have ingested some!  :)  After this we walked over to lunch at a small fish and chips place that Robert and Kelly bragged about.  I will have to agree with them and Yelp  -- WONDERFUL meal!
 Photo opp:
 Dad got an ice cream cone at Dryer's Ice Cream.  They only wanted the whipped cream off his sundae.  I couldn't imagine HOW he was able to eat this after having such a huge lunch.  I was completely full and wanted a nap! ;) (no, really, I did!).  But we walked on...
We took some photos with Alcatraz in the background.  I'll have to ask Kelly to send those to me.  We had originally planned to take the ferry but it was sort of rough in the bay.  And it was cold! So we changed our minds and just walked around the pier.  We of course, had to stop and watch the sea lions.  They were VERY entertaining!
 At one point we witnessed one sea lion get out of the water and bully ALL the sea lions that were sun bathing because he wanted that particular spot.  It was bullying at its best.  He was able to convince about 2 to 3 others to literally leave the plank and find another spot or even dive into the water to get away from him!  It was hilarious!
 They had a naturalist out at one of the tables talking to the children and educating them about the sea lions.
 I wish I had known about this so that MG could have visited and asked questions for her report last year!  (She did fine, of course, but it would have been more exciting!)
 They found this huge display a fun place to play!  They all played a game right behind them (spin the wheel) and E won a free pass to the aquarium!  (I guess we'll be back!).
 This was a fun structure to climb.  Hello there everyone!
 Then it was back home to Uncle Kelly and Uncle Robert's place.  We left around noon and returned home around 7pm.  It was a long day!  The children walked from Pier 39 to Pier 1 and down Embarcadero.  So as you can imagine, they were exhausted and were ready to kick off their shoes and socks and rest.
Kelly and Robert showed us some of their home videos from the various trips they had been on while the children played for a bit.  We saw pictures and videos of their trip to China, Italy, and trips home for a few family weddings.

It was way after 9:45PM before we got home when MD realized we did not have dinner.  So he and MG ate left over fries from lunch while I put E to bed.  He, of course, fell asleep on the ride home.

Thank you for a wonderful visit Uncle Kelly and Uncle Robert.  See you during fleet week!

1 comment:

  1. I love San Francisco! I actually love the narrow winding roads and the cable cars!

    Thanks for sharing these pics, Steph! They bring back such wonderful memories for me! Oooo! I'm thinking clam chowder at the Fisherman's Wharf!!!